10 Tips for Sending an Email Campaign without getting penalized!

Getting assurance that your email gets delivered to the right inbox instead of the spam folder can be a tough challenge. As email spammers get shrewd and detect new methods to slip through spam filters, email service providers have responded by improvising their spam filters.

What’s the good news? If you do follow rules and draft good quality email programs you will unlikely have any problem getting flagged as spam.

What’s the bad news? You’ll have to consistently work to certain that your email is inbox-ready. This not only gets effective open rates for your emails but also saves from penalized.

To start with, you’ll have to understand all the factors that appraise an email service provider’s algorithm whether your email is spam or not. Very much like the Google Search Algorithm, whose factors for the spam filter algorithm are a secret?

  • Well, why is that?
  • If you knew what they were, you would simply follow the rules!
  • And so would thousands of other malicious spammers would also do.
  • Email is the undeniably steadfast mode of communication. You do agree, right?
  • So if you are a smart email campaigner, you should not miss our tips before sending out mass emails to your subscribers!

Tips for sending an email campaign without getting penalized

1.    Confirm that Your Emails are Verified

Did you really know that 40% of people change their email address annually and maintain multiple personal & business email addresses? Well, yes. This is why even the freshest list needs to be verified on a regular basis. We recommend verifying your lists every quarter at the very least.

2. Broaden your Ability to Reach the Audience

Every email sent to your audience is important. But some fall critically to meet your organization’s goals. The last thing for an email marketer is to find out your email marketing account has been suspended by your platform provider. Accounts get suspended when recipients flag your emails as spam or when campaigns result in high bounce rates because of undeliverable mail. Email verification at regular intervals can reduce this risk immensely.

3. Make UnSubscription Effortless

Well sounds counterintuitive, right? We know no one likes the feeling of rejection. And when that comes to an end when someone doesn’t want you to communicate with them anymore, it’s difficult. However, the larger the email list, the more likely this is going to happen.

Your lists won’t get penalized for unsubscribes. But your list will definitely get penalized if people start marking your emails as spam. And people are more likely to mark an email as spam if they don’t have the option to unsubscribe in the first place.

4. Respect your Audience’s Decision

If any of your recipients unsubscribe you, take proper measures to ensure you do not email them again.

If you do, you carry the risk of getting marked as spam because their unsubscription request had not been honoured. The sole reason for re-adding them is if they explicitly opt-in again. Your email marketing platform probably does this automatically, however, if you employ a CRM you’ll need to ensure you’re syncing that up as well if you’re not already.

5. Be Mobile Friendly

Mobile renders up to 50% of total email clicks, yet only 15% of emails are optimized for mobile. Chances are, you can be a part of the 85% who don’t send out mobile-friendly emails. As a result, you experience loss of valuable engagement and ROI for your email marketing strategy. Most email marketing platforms furnish various opportunities for improving on this aspect, take good advantage of them.

6.Consider Subject Lines

People’s inboxes get flooded with hundreds of emails every day. It’s a challenge to ensure you’re capturing a share of their attention. Hence email subject lines are crucial as well as thoughtful. Subject lines decide whether your email is appealing your recipient or ends up in the spam folder.

If your email marketing platform provides A/B testing, you can test length and language. Ultimately though, you ought to think about the catchy subject line as a trusted promise you are making and when that email is opened, you’re delivering on that promise.

7. Apt Time to Deliver

The timing of the delivery of your emails has to be considered. There are plenty of advice available when it comes to sending emails. However, every audience is different. When you send emails, aspects you’ll have to consider are the different time zones of your audience, their lifestyles and the call to action you are making in the email.

You can avail A/B testing for this, too. Speaking of timing, we are sure you have lots to say, but make sure you time your emails thoughtfully as no one wants to feel overwhelmed with an avalanche of emails from the same source.

8. Make Use of Images

In many cases, you’ll come across more click-throughs and conversions by including images in your emails. Pick for images that visually support your messages and make an emotional connection.

Also, use the buttons that match your organization’s branding for calls to action. Need inspiration? Subscribe to a few email lists for others who share your same industry and audience.

9. Measure Twice, Cut Once

Your email marketing platform likely provides a dashboard that imparts analytics for your campaigns. Use it.

As you send out more campaigns, you will probably see which emails perform the best with regard to click-throughs, open rates, and email forwarding. Analyze the high performing campaigns paying attention to what time you sent the email, the subject headlines, and calls to action and if they’re an audience trend regarding the demographics, wealth and geographic location. Use these insights to further segment your list.

10. Sharing is Caring

Once you’ve taken all the necessary steps to ensure that the emails you’re sending are verified, optimized and compelling don’t forget to make your emails easy for sharing.

Surely, it’s damn easy for people to just forward an email and hence it’s an impactful channel. However, most people tend to be active on at least one social media channel, if not all. However, they’re less likely to share if you don’t make it ridiculously easy to do so. Most email marketing platforms give you the ability to add sharing buttons and links within your email campaigns.

Hence don’t underestimate the power of sharing. Not only will this help spread your message but it will also help you grow your list.

If we missed any of the helpful tips, please share them in the comments section.

Author - Rachel Radmond
Rachel Radmond Author at Fortune Reuters Rachel Radmond, Sr. Business Development Manager, Fortune Reuters is driven by the passion to offer customer value beyond all. With her invaluable managerial experience of working for multinational companies she has gathered comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Enterprise-level companies that’s been instrumental in our growth as a global B2B contact data brand. Her market insights and how she beautifully correlates it with the need for fortune companies to procure data for multichannel campaigns has been the secret to her success.